A significant step was taken in February, when The National Transport Authority (NTA) announced its funding plan for Cork County Council for 2015 which included:
Project 7. “Tramore Valley N40 Overbridge: The preparing of preliminary design and planning for a pedestrian and cycle over-bridge which would link Grange Road to the Tramore Valley Park and onwards to Half Moon Lane in the City area. This project is being progressed jointly with Cork City Council.
Vernon Mount Lecture Series 2015 - All events to be held in Douglas Library at 7.00 p.m.
26th March. " The influence of the Irish Big House and its Demesne on perceptions of landscape and beauty in the 18th and 19th Centuries". Speaker-Dr. Finola O'Kane, Architect, Landscape Historian and Conservation Specialist.
14th May. " Lusitania Tragedy claims the life of Cork-born internationally renowned art expert" - The Life and Times of Sir Hugh Lane. Speaker - Robert O'Byrne, Vice-President of Irish Georgian Society, a writer specialising in the fine and decorative arts, and author of more than a dozen books, including the definitive biography of Sir Hugh Lane.
27th August " Cork's Gardens of Eden". Speaker - Louise Harrington, Architectural Heritage and Historic Landscape Consultant.
A highly acclaimed lecture was given on 28th August by Dr. Alicia St. Leger, to an audience of 204... a record for a lecture at Douglas library. In attendance were members of the Ryan family, current owners of Frankfield House, Claire and Nancy Dwyer, as well as Tony O'Herlihy and Des Heffernan, past occupiers of Vernon Mount. Also present were Anna and Marie Hegarty, past occupiers of Ballybrack House, as well as Dr. Barry O'Reilly and his wife Sharon, the current owners. Extremely valuable and informative contributions were made by Colman Ryan, Tony O'Herlihy, and a Mrs. Tuthill, whose husband Albert Dermot Tuthill was born in Vernon Mount in 1934 to his father Norman Spencer Tuthill. The latter contribution gave clarification and correction to the Guy's Directory recordings of 1935 and 1940 of a Mr. Tuttle ( incorrectly spelt) in residence at Vernon Mount.
The information provided by Anna (Hegarty) O'Toole to GFP in the past month was invaluable in establishing the sequence of ownerships of Ballybrack, from 1882 when Rev. James Lane ( father of Sir Hugh Lane) , disposed of the property.
GFP will soon be announcing details of the next lecture in the series, which is scheduled to take place in the Spring of 2015.
GFP has a meeting scheduled with Cork County Council for 5th September next to -
Establish update regarding the preparation of plans for the proposed cycle/pedestrian corridor from Grange Road to the N.40, in advance of the Council's engagement of consulting engineers.
To get an update regarding further roof repairs to Vernon Mount House, resulting from the storm of February last.
The third presentation in the Vernon Mount Lecture Series, will be given by Dr. Alicia St. Leger, and will take place in Douglas Library on Thursday 28th August 2014, at 7 p.m. It will be titled ' Vernon Mount, Frankfield and Ballybrack, Three Historic Douglas Houses, at one time connected by Lanes.' It will deal with the history of the houses, and their occupants.